Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Poison Alert!

I can't believe I spent more than half a day fiddling with words so that I can tell the public about the risk of BPA from polycarbonate bottles.

As many of you know, I was totally enamoured of my Felton drinking bottles. They look good, are easy to carry around, and store enough water for a whole day's supply. I believed them to be eco-friendly because they are reusable, and since there was a triangle of chasing arrows underneath, recyclable.

Little did I realise that there is an ongoing debate about its safety! Apparently, PC is made up of various resins, and are NOT recyclable. Worse, bisphenol-A (BPA) is used to make many of them, and it is a toxin that has been linked to various maladies including obesity and diabetes.

I learnt about all this while surfing for information and understandably freaked out. I was drinking gallons of water from those bottles every single day! Questions ran through my head.

Did it have anything to do with my medical condition? God knows...

Did I often fill the bottles with hot water? Sometimes. Not always.

Was I using a worn out bottle? Not sure.

Did I often drink water left in the bottle for a few days? Sometimes. When there's no other cooled water to drink.

Does the water taste funny after a few days? I guess, but not really plasticky...

Arrkk! What have I done? Thus, I switched to a glass bottle I had saved because it's so pretty. The trouble is, it only carries 330ml, so I have to refill it every so often. I didn't dare go back to the plastic bottles, but it seems to me that the water cooler bottles are made up of the same stuff too! I used to hate drinking cold water from the cooler because to me it tasted funny. after a while I kind of got used to it. Oh dear.. maybe I was drinking BPA soup from there! Now, what if I brought cooled boiled water from home? But in the redoubtable Felton bottles? Hrm.. maybe not. Otherwise, buy an aluminum water bottle. But those cost a bomb... Or maybe find one which is made of other plastics.. Hmm.. that might work.. Sigh. So susah la like this...

1 comment:

~CovertOperations78~ said...

Thanks for posting this and spreading the word, Oza. Housemates and I use old liquor bottles for water. Not wine bottles, coz those have corks, whereas liquor bottles have screw-on caps. Much easier. But they're so heavy and not really portable. Aluminium ones are expensive but worth the investment.