Saturday, July 23, 2005

Zach is BACK!!

Alhamdulillah, that's all I can say... Zach has been miraculously returned to me and I am so, so glad to have him back.

Wanted to go get some breakfast this morning. Went to the gate and there it was - my car keys, tucked in the lock!! Went out and scanned the street; saw it parked a little further up :-D I could hardly believe what happened, I was shivering as I walked up the street. I tried the alarm; it wasn't armed, but it worked fine. Everything was as it was, my book, swim gear, tapes, etc were all there. There was no damage and no parts were missing. I took it home and started making calls. Later I went to the police station and reported it as found. Had a few other things to take care of as well.

There were 5 MPPJ parking tickets in the 5 days it was missing. All were in Damansara Jaya and Damansara Utama area. For the last 2 days it was sitting in Uptown; and the police didn't even notice. I wonder WHAT they were doing to trace the car!! For one thing, they did not really take the details of the car. They just took the car number and that was that. The sergeant I spoke to assured me that they had an APB(?) out, but I seriously doubt they did anything to find the car. Maybe there are too many cases for them to handle, but their lackadaisical attitude is making things worse. Because it's too easy to get away with crime, more people do it!

If the MPPJ computers were online and enabled to determine the car status as stolen, the car could have been found on Monday itself, when the first parking ticket was issued. I think this is a serious flaw in our crime prevention network. Departments do not "talk" to each other. In this age of computer networking and real time systems, I think something should be done to rectify this problem. I personally think this would help solve so many car theft cases in Malaysia.

I guess I'm just VERY, VERY LUCKY that the thieves were not hardcore criminals. They were probably college kids who needed some wheels and decided to "borrow" mine without permission for a few days. Or perhaps they were pissed that they could not find any cash lying around and decided the car was fair game. Could it be some frat initiation thingy of some sort?

I hope they'll realise that crime does not pay, and what they're doing is wrong. I would really like my laptop back as well. It's full of my personal notes, articles, databases, photos and whatnot. Plus my work was last backed up about a month ago. There's a lot of work articles and emails that disappeared with the lappie... It would really help to get the Atec back. Then I can sell the HP and use the cash for something much more important. Did they sell it or are they using it for their assignments? They should know that using stolen stuff or stolen money brings bad, bad luck. Tak berkat, siul!!

Am thinking of selling the HP and buying another ATEC. It's smaller and quite a bit cheaper, but guess I'd prefer to get the original one back, if that's at all possible. :-P More prayers for me? Sabar ajela....

No comments: