Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Taken by Surprise

Guess most of you have heard what happened on Monday. Thieves broke into my house and drove off with my car, laptop, IC and sister's handphone.

I had felt a little funny the night before while chatting with a friend in NL. So I promised to buzz her the next day, shut down, locked the glass door and went up to bed. I was so tired I fell asleep with the lights on and door unlocked.

I woke up at 4 am thinking that I had not prayed and there was work I didn't do during the weekend. My room was as per normal and I had no idea anything was amiss. So I got up and pottered about until around six. This was when K Ayu went downstairs and discovered the doors wide open and my car gone. She burst into my room and asked where my car was. Puzzled, I went down with her.

Downstairs, I switched on the lights and found her handbag. They had actually entered her room to get it!! Only my sister's handphone was missing; cash in a separate location was safe. My laptop was gone from the study table and my knapsack was on the floor. Everything was in my wallet except for my IC. I doubt they entered my room because my hp was still on my dresser. I'm so thankful neither of us were harmed in any way.

A strange calm took over; I started calling the police and informing others. Abah was out of range and Abang was in Singapore. Called/messaged friends and my boss, dealt with the police. By the time the photographer came and went, it was already midday. I still needed to make copies of my documents and send it to the sergeant, etc.

Went to PJ state to make a replacement IC, then went around trying to get things sorted out. By yesterday have managed to get most things under control. Am waiting for my insurance claim form and getting a replacement laptop this afternoon. Am doing OK with public transport for the time being.

Managed to get in touch with Abah in the evening and he immediately came over. He went to get some "ubat" to deter further break-ins and yesterday he took us to "revive the spirit". Being somewhat unused to these kind of stuff, I was pretty skeptical, but the lime bath did revive me quite a bit. Maybe it was some kind of "fortified aromatherapy", but if it works, I'm not complaining!

There isn't much hope of recovering my beloved lappie, and I really need one for work, so I've made the order and insya-Allah will get a replacement by this afternoon. Lesson learnt - never be so careless with my laptop in the future.

According to the police, based on my car model statistics, there is an 80% chance that my car will be found, sooner or later. So peeps, please, please, please pray that my Zach will be found soon and do keep a lookout for a white Satria 1.3 GLi manual BGE 4896.

Peeps, a million thanks for all who came back to me with encouraging messages and calls. Your support means so much to me and helped me be that little bit stronger to deal with this mess. Thanks to my boss, Cindy, who allowed me time off until I could sort things out. I feel really blessed to have so many wonderful people offering me help in my time of need :-)

No comments: