Friday, July 01, 2005

In Search of the Gentle Giants

If anyone were to ask me, what kind of guy am I looking for; this would have to be the answer: A Gentle Giant.

What?? No, not Shrek, though he has many admirable qualities. And he was really cute when he was under that spell/ potion thingy, hehehe… A friend said recently, you want someone who will hold hands with you even when you’re old and retired. My cousin gets a foot rub from her hubby 20+ years after marriage. Bestnyerrrr….

I like tall, solid guys. Well, not necessarily very tall, but not shorter than me, at least. It’s depressing to walk with a short date, and I’m sure it’s not doing any favours for THEIR self-esteem either. Forgive me for being tall, it’s in the genes. And solid = feeling safe? Maybe it’s just a matter of perception, but I prefer hugging a tree than a twig, so to speak. He doesn’t have to be good looking. After all, I’m not much to look at either. Vain guys are kind of icky. As long as they wear clean clothes, take care of themselves and smell nice, enough la.

Religious values matter a whole big lot. No, I’m not looking for a square; I’m a little too liberal for that. Just someone who believes in God, does his daily requirements and avoids sinful things. Not too much to ask for, right?

Money and status? Well, a guy should earn enough to take care of his family, at least. I’m not looking for a rich man, just someone who believes in his work and is committed to it. Really, I’m not impressed with expensive cars, clothing, watches or handphones. I prefer someone who is practical and lives within his means, and allocates enough for the truly important things. And status is overrated. Who needs a husband who is so busy that he has no time for his own family?

But mainly, what I want is companionship; I’m tired of sleeping with the cat. Think about it, I earn enough to take care of myself, but I need emotional stability more. I want someone who will be with me through life’s ups and downs; someone who will hold me when something screws up and help make things right again. I don’t need a protector, I need a partner. Someone adult enough to make up his own mind, handle problems constructively and not excessively influenced by friends or family. Someone who will be a good father to his children, if there are any. Truly, a responsible husband is worth his weight in gold…

Last but not least, there is that unmentionable three letter word. Face it, in about ten years, we won’t even want to have sex. Well, not so much anyway. So that kind of puts some kind of time limit to my search, doesn’t it?

But what can I do about it? Dress up to the nines hoping to attract dates? Flirt with all the males that come my way? Sign up for internet dating and attract gatal married men? Tackle some slimy Dato’ with a condo and a platinum card? Tell the guy I like point blank that I want to marry him? Or just go on pretending I like sleeping with the cat and dream that someday someone will fall head over heels in love with me? If you find anyone more clueless about relationships than me, please notify the newspapers. :-p

No comments: