Monday, January 12, 2009

Congratulations, Chris & Loretta


Woke up early on Saturday morning and still managed to be late meeting up with Ee Phin to go for the church wedding. Typical me! Arrived just before the bride's party made their way up into the hall. I was happy to see many familiar faces already there. Liz and Bruce flew in from Brisbane, Daniel made it from Singapore, there were Eleanor & Chen, Teck Wyn & Cindy, Rhett in his kilt, and a bunch of other people from MNS, ex-WWF and TRAFFIC. Someone commented it was like a conservation powwow going on.

Chris looked so cute in his glasses. In his nervousness, he had forgotten to take them off! Loretta looked fabuous in her Grecian style gown. When she made her entrance, I almost cried. It was amazing to see them married after all these years. It was also fun to meet up with old friends I hadn't seen for a while. It felt like those days when we were always hanging out at the house aka illegal immigrant center!

Yumiko arrived in the afternoon and we went together with Ee Phin to the evening party. It was held in Hartamas Regency where Lillian & Jack lived. It was really nice too. Tables were labelled with different animals, 6 Malaysian, 6 Canadian. The birders were at the Duck table. I choked when Holly, Chris' sister read out all the touching messages from their family in Canada. It was a pity his parents could not come for the wedding.There was plenty of food, and we milled around talking long after the management switched off the lights. Hmm, probably they were trying to make us go home... :p Mark's kids even took a dip in the pool at eleven PM.

At some point, I started a conversation with some guy based in Acheh, and ended up with a lengthy conversation about how the kongkang has been split into many species. He even rounded up Vincent, who is a primate expert and I got a lecture on the many spesies and subspecies of tarsiers found in Asia. It was kind of bizarre if you're not into environment, but you know, I prefer it to people who asked me lame questions like "asal mana" and "berapa umur". Even worse when they decided I wasn't worth talking to when they find out hold old I was. Please la. You ask me overly personal questions, yet you have no intention in knowing me as a person. I find that so disappointing. Better someone who talks about general interests and lets personal info stay personal.

Anyway, it was great fun, and I hope I can meet up again before they all go home to their respective countries. To Chris & Loretta, I wish you all happiness and everlasting love. IOU your wedding gift. Am rather broke right now... sorry!

No comments: