Sunday, June 01, 2008

A Different World

Had to go back to BP the other day. After the necessary, went back to kampung to pay my respects to Mak Ngah. Had my computer with me, so that I could work there. Figured I'd borrow a land line somewhere to check my email the next day.

Once in the kampung, I resorted to borrowed clothes, since I only brought a baju kelawar and a tee for the ride home. It was really strange to wear kain batik and baju kurung again. As the day went by, I found more and more things I missed about being home. The house layout shut out the sun, so we needed to switch on lights all day long. There wasn't enough fresh air. Sometimes a pong came from outside. I missed my 2 healthy cats instead of the sickly specimens loitering in the area. I wanted my regular nasi lemak instead of sukun goreng. I even missed my minimalist loo without hot water! I couldn't find the washing powder, or any shower foam. I bathed using a sliver of hotel soap, which I don't really like. Of course I missed my regular internet connection. I mistook garam halus for gula and had a hard time readjusting my sambal tumis. Wanted to buy food for the house but didn't even know where the shops were anymore. In the end, I took a mega long siesta after lunch and decided to catch up with work over the weekend, at home.

When I was a kid, I LOVED being back in the kampung. The old furniture was all there; but they didn't work for me anymore. The old dressing table mirror now comes up to my chest; I have to stoop to look at my face. I had to rummage through numerous cupboards for something wearable. The old ranjang (metal four-poster bed) has shrunk and I had trouble getting to sleep that night. The smells and feel had all changed. I didn't belong there anymore.

I was glad when Saturday came and I could leave. Mak Ngah had to go to Melaka for a hantar tanda thingy that morning, so I hopped into my cousin's car to get to town and catch my bus. Bas tu pulak selow giler... Dari sana 11.30. pukul empat baru sampai KL. I was too tired to do the train thing. Just hailed a cab and headed straight home.

Guess I'd changed too much to ever go back to being a kampung girl. It's not so much the amenities. I can reorganise everything if I wanted to. I'm glad I stopped by to see Mak Ngah and spent time with her. It's just that I have a completely different life now. I have my own pad, I organise my own kitchen. I run the whole house, work, everything. I don't like staying over at anyone's place, even Abang's. I'd rather drive home in the middle of the night to my own bed. I think the word here is tak kerasan. It means something like not feeling a sense of belonging. I've always been a homebody. Guess now that I'm older, home really is where the heart is.

No comments: