Monday, May 01, 2006

Further and Further Down Memory Lane…

Was manning the exhibition booth in Seremban last weekend. Like it or not, I actually lived there for five years, albeit most of it in the confines of my alma mater.

The sight of a young guy reminded me of our then favourite teacher – the sweet and shy En. Ahmad Bidin, fondly known as Mat Bid or Mat Blush. The latter came of his unfortunate habit of blushing at the drop of a hat, or in his case, a chalk! Imagine the consternation of a young guy, just out of teaching school, to be placed in a school full of precocious girls. Yet he was a good sport, always ready to help in any way. He had a cheeky side too. Back then, we had class names in Latin, and he ‘helped’ find the name for his class – Narcissism Nexus – the center or self-adoration! I’m amazed the girls decided to keep that name. They really did adore him… He taught math and played cricket, something he picked up while studying in Australia.

Did MY math and realised that it had been 20 long years ago when I first stepped into that school… Oh dear, was it really THAT long ago? The guy must be in his forties now. I just can’t imagine him being forty. Guess he’ll always be that tall, thin, young teacher in my mind :-)

I wonder where the other teachers are now. Many are probably retired, some would have passed on. I remember with fondness Pn Sabariah, Ms Vicky, Ms Nana Tilaka, Pn Fatimah, Mr Nathan, Mrs Ho, Ms Satpal and so many others. We owe them so much for their dedication in teaching us then.

Would I ever be a teacher? Maybe a lecturer. I don't know. Still thinking about it...

7 comments:

Fiza said...

ala, main kriket. dh tolak point kt situ.. heh.

Anonymous said...

Hahaha, met one of my teachers the other day during dinner and straightaway I'm reminded why I do not like him in the first place. And boy, does he grow like 50% more at the widest spot after all these years...

Cricket playing? No comments...

Paus Biru said...

Boys... don't be so mean la... Tak baik tau!

Anonymous said...

OzA,
I met Ahmad Bid about 4 yrs ago masa dinner kat one of the kedai makan kat Seremban, macam tu jugak but with kids. And remember another Maths teacher, Puan Azizah? I actually met her kat Pasar Ramadhan Paroi Jaya at Sbn, still macam tu jugak but ngan anak2 dia..
And since I stay in Sbn, a few other teachers kat Pasar, Giant
Funny, I always tak berani nak tegur any of our ex-teachers, maybe fear that salah orang... Or takut?!?

Paus Biru said...

Hi Ija!

Lama tak jumpa you pun. How many kids do YOU have now? Don't really remember Pn Azizah, but I saw the website, most of our teachers are still based there.

Dengar2 TKC nak pindah Nilai nanti. I dgn Aizan teringin sangat nak visit sekolah someday... The last time I went there was 15 yrs ago. If I ever had a daughter and she got a place there, it won't be on Bkt Merbah la...

Anonymous said...

Oza,
Tak tau lak TKC nak pindah tpI did visit the school with my family last year masa ada pameran ICT (rasanya) kat Dewan tu (tapi we all x masuk dewan tu pun), saja nak jalan2, the school cam tu jugak, I went kat area canteen , blok calss tu je sebab rasanya mcm tak appropriate pulak nak bawak my hubby around the hostel area, which, dari jalan, nampak sama jer..
Anyway, SDAR dah pindah to a new area kat Seremban jugak, tapi glamer lagi, siap ada guest house for visitors to stay overnight. I think TKC pun patut upgrade dah.
Anyway, nice things yang you buat kat your blog ni.. I enjoy reading this.. anyway FYI, found this thread kat tkcoga group. BTW, Sali here is the same Saliyaty Dora, tu kan. And who is Aizan? Our batch?
I ada jumpa Intan aka Tarz recently. Syisya pun..

Paus Biru said...

Ija,

Karang the girls nampak yr hubby, ada yg menjerit lak! Worse, kena sound dek warden.. ha ha. SDAR kat tepi hiway je, kan?

Yes, that Sali. Baru dinner dgn dia malam tadi. We meet up and travel together quite a bit la. Aizan is one yr junior, Form 4 baru. We did bump into Idayu and Syariza some time ago. Aida Mo ada kat Petronas.

We actually should have a get together la. The last one was too long ago.