Saturday, August 16, 2008

The Penniless & The Peugeot

Was excited to be assigned a test drive trip on Thursday. A bit on edge, though, 'coz I'm pretty much penniless at that point. Most meals will be covered, but you know la, if anything happen, kena ada duit jugak kan? Luckily, we were quite well pampered for this outing. Even got a bit of pocket money from the organisers. So happy..

On arrival, found that most of the party are guys. Only 3 girls from the media - so we shared one car. By 9.45, all of us are in our 407s and heading on to Lumut. The first part, highway, Huey Ling drove. I took the next bit - the federal road from Bidor all the way out to Damai Laut. Needless to say, we all fell in love with the car la. Such a sweet car to drive. Very comfy, great suspension, special v-cool like windscreen, great handling, good brakes, great acceleration. I'm usually quite apprehensive to overtake, but with this baby, no problem! The boys really put the car through its paces, but we pushed pretty hard as well. But seriously.. as a passenger - it was so stable that I felt totally comfy even while cruising at 150 kmph. On the small road towards the resort, we tested braking and suspension when I failed to notice a speed bump until the very last minute. Result - back passenger still happily seated. Coming back from an outing, i witnessed the xenon lights - excellent beams. Bright as daylight, but automatically leveled down so as not to blind oncoming traffic.

Being on 'the gravy train'. as pakcik says, we had a good time at the resort. BBQ, karaoke and island hopping was part of the package. I managed to make use of the pool and did a bit of work in between, but it was mostly a pleasure trip.

The only challenge for me was to look for the interesting food, 'coz that's the angle of my story. It was pretty slim picking, I must say. In between the activities, couldn't run out on my own in an unfamiliar spot. Did manage to get some tips from one of the guys, so at least I got SOMETHING to work on... We were supposed to stop in Bidor to buy fruit on the way back, but we missed a turn and ended up taking the Sabak Bernam coast road instead.

Despite getting lost in Meru, we managed to get back to Glenmarie before seven. Was gatal enough to go to a media party that night, but decided to call it quits at eleven. There's only so much loud music my poor ears could tolerate. Seems that I'll be paying my dues this weekend. Had to attend an interview this morning, and God knows how many articles need to be sorted out in the next couple of days. A little worn out right now, but no choice la. I suppose I could steal some time off here and there. I'll survive... Urm.. girls, spa, anyone?

No comments: