Friday, August 29, 2008

Go-mei food,ah?

As everybody knows, I like to eat. I budget for two to three 'makan besar' sessions with pakcik & my darling girlie friends a month (provided I have money la). And now, I get to makan besar free now and then. Also got vouchers for slimming session free afterwards. Heh. Don't care la, local or imported cuisine, for me, food must be wholesome and worth the hard earned money. Last night, Manhattan Fish Market had some kind of media thingy to promote their Ramadhan Berbuka Package (Worth 26.90). The the verdict is the same as previously... Not Worth The Money.

I can't write this in the magazine, but personally, I think they're a bunch of frauds. First thing, the company has nothing to do with the US. The food has never gone anywhere near the Manhattan Fish Market. It's most probably locally sourced, or imported from a nearby country. They don't use top quality ingredients. There's not much imported cheeses and ingredients to justify the high price. The recipes are bland. Whether local or western food, they're neither here nor there. Portions are not as big as Chili's or TGIF. There's no ambiance like the other spots. They're basically fast food that's charging like crazy.

In fact, the company is actually local, with one Singaporean partner. I don't care if a company is local. It's OK if they're local and selling western food. But I hate overpriced food. I think they're only expanding because everyone suckered to eat there paid so much for the lousy food that they cannot rugi.

Compared to Dave's Deli, they can't win. I think the food at DD is really tasty and good value for money. I don't know why they seem to be disappearing from the local food landscape, though. I should check it out again sometime. Without Pakcik, because he scoffs at the shepherd's pie. Heh.

1 comment:

Enche Bon said...

Agree with you, its not so much the price, ITS the food. If the food is great, we won't mind paying what we think its worth. If the food is great, AND the price is reasonable, we will definitely come again and again :)

Another agreement with you. Dave's Deli has great food and good ambiance. I just love DD at The Weld last time...

Cheers and take care :)

Mr Bon