Thursday, January 26, 2006

It’s All About Money. Is it??

At this age, I begin to realise that love, feelings and relationships are wildly changeable things.

How else can you explain the calmness and even fond pleasure to hear the wedding plans of someone who once threw me head over heels? (Of course ego dictates that I will attend with a tall, dark & handsome partner in tow la, of course). Heh heh.

Someone I’ve known forever used to be a favoured friend not 3 years ago, yet now I hardly remember the times we were together. Like: (with bewildered stare) – You met her before? When? Birdwatching? Bila masa you ikut kitorang birding?

Moral: Feelings fade. So what else is new?

Someone is going through a tough time because hubby is doing well and now dah gatal nak ‘bukak branch’ pulak. Oh dear!! Sigh. Men. Pulak tu the girl couldn’t care less who she hurts. Double sigh. Strangely, many bills are left unpaid. Erm… thought you said you were rich?

Which brings me to the next point. Money. Moolah. Cash. Ringgit. Call it what you like. The thing that makes the world go round. Oops, was that supposed to be love? Whatever. Big fat difference.

How important is it in a relationship?

Truth no 1: Men have big fat egos.
Truth no 2: Girls have egos too la.

Me being me, I wouldn’t consider it an issue if my other half makes slightly less than me. After all, I have loans to pay off, and I need to save up because I’m on contract; will need cash reserves in case I have a gap next year. Most probably the shortfall is temporary due to whatever circumstances. As long as they have a future, careful and smart about their finances, I’m not worried. I’d say it would be better to compare disposable incomes. But then takkan la you nak compare finances macam nak buat merger pulak, kan? Hmm… merger… now that’s an interesting thought.

In any case, marriage is a long term deal, and you have to accept the reality that there is always up and downs in life. I could marry a rich man and he could be bankrupt in 10 years time due to no fault of his. Or I could marry a pauper and have him rich 5 years later. Ok la. That’s taking it to extremes la.

Or I could marry someone who is more or less on an equal footing. We’d try our best to make things work. Things might be hard sometimes. Someone might try to pinch him from me. He might get big-headed and start to wander. Or I might start making big money and cause a rift. You never know.

Bottomline: Marriage is for the long haul; many things will change in the course of a lifetime. As passion fades, respect and maturity would help us to stay together and work through anything that life throws at us. So someone that you respect would make a better criteria than how much he is currently earning, wouldn’t you agree?

Coming up next: PausBiru needs lessons on how to attract missing other half.

No comments: