Sunday, January 08, 2006

Fireflies: River of Light

Eyeda’s tip and Acat’s testimonial on his blog encouraged me to try and catch this movie. Finally managed to do so yesterday.

As you all may know, the story revolves around a teacher and his class whose class project was to raise fireflies so that they may fly again in their kampung. Along the way, they met many obstacles. They cleaned up a polluted river in their school and fought against a project on the site. There were also 'baddies' who tried to stop the project.

Found the movie light, laced with the gentle humour and whimsical silliness typical of Japanese entertainment. I’m sure most of us remember Oshin, another series about the clumsy stewardess-in-training (anyone remember the title?) and the unforgettable Istana Takeshi.

The environmentalist in me loved the kids’ passion for saving the fireflies and the teacher’s apparent naivete which made his character so endearing. And you can’t help adoring the grandmotherly principal who in her gentle way encouraged the effort.

Down-to-earth and heartwarming, this movie is nice pick-me-up compared to typical American rubbish. I do hope my companion enjoyed the movie as much as I did, being dragged along and all :-)

Next stop – Broken Flowers. Anyone game?

No comments: