Sunday, November 27, 2005

Is he a good catch?

How would you consider a guy as “a good catch”?

Why do I ask? Well, not too long ago, after a typical gathering, I commented a certain Prince Charming would be a pretty good catch. (Not for me, but for our beloved TPMS *wink*).

The reason I said that was because I got the impression that he was a genuine kind of guy. Someone who works hard, means what he says, keeps his word, does things out of the kindness of his heart (as in ikhlas, not looking for kickbacks), etc. After all, he does a lot for a certain set of boys… It doesn’t hurt that he’s doing well financially, but that too comes from him being reliable and smart at work. And he handles babies like a pro. There’s something that is SOO sweet and endearing about guys carrying babes… Genuinely nice guys – now that’s what I’d call a good catch.

But the other person said, “Yeah, look at his new car.”

Err…. Oookaayyy... I like the new car. It’s nice. It’s good that he can afford it. But is THAT the major reason he’s considered a good catch? Does the car encapsulate all his good points? I shudder at the thought. What if he bought something he could ill afford, just to show off? Big debts would make him a bad catch in the long run. Show offs are pathetic. Poor character is definitely not a good quality.

Really, I didn’t even think of the car bit at the time. Being strongly Javanese influenced, possessions never made such a big impact on my family; authenticity does. I never heard of anyone comparing the size of our cars or our pay checks; just how good a person we are and how well we treat our families. And no one gives a hoot about titles and so called social status. Call us different, but that’s just one more reason for me to love my family even more. :-D

No comments: