Friday, May 02, 2008

Foodie Fantasy

I have to admit, I don't like film stars, singers and dancers all that much. Reason I don't visit yr blog all that often, Jase. Sorry. I don't hate them, just not very interested. Like people not being interested in looking at Blythe's Hawk Eagles and verditer flycatchers. You know...

However, I did spend some time googling up The Gilmore Girls cast. And I do watch AmIdol now and then. Love CSI, ER and a number of other shows. Not like I'm a complete nerdo about entertainment...

What I DO make time for, however, are cooking shows. 703 is by far my anchor channel, with occasional forays to 707, 702 and 701. Have been so addicted to Restaurant Makeover that I actually went and looked up the crew. Mostly looked up the chefs, but even checked out Igor too. Did you know he's a Ukrainian and his last name is Shamraychuk? Admittedly, some episodes are boring, and some of the chefs are not very nice. but it's still quite entertaining. Especially when the designers are such a pain to Igor and his poor, put upon crew. Seriously, they deserve to be paid more than the designers at times. They're the real heroes, doing all that hard work for loco designers who keep changing their minds. It's a wonder no one has been sledgehammered so far.

Wanna know my current celeb fantasy? Celeb chef la. No, it has nothing to do with Curtis Stone. It's something along the lines of cooking with tough lady Lynn Crawford. Ekekeke... And I would introduce her to the wonderful world of Malaysian cooking. Entice her with the extraordinary flavors of Nasi lemak, sambal petai, ulam and sambal belacan. Can you imagine, one day, it would be served in the hallowed halls of the Four Seasons?? Hey, proud to be Malaysian, la... ekekeke.... "Excuse me, sir, would you prefer your pucuk paku with garlic or belacan?" "Extra petai, ma'am? Very well, I will inform the cook." What? Malaysia Boleh, kan...?

Even have me favourite cook show hosts. No, I don't watch TV all the time. Yes, I sometimes have the TV on while I work. Rarely. No, not all the time. Hush. I DO work. Yes, I get my work done, thank you very much. I only switch the TV on after seven, for goodness' sakes! PM, not AM. Sheesh. Nosy Voice of Conscience.

Where was I? Oh, yeah, fave cooks... Let's see.. who do we have...?
- "Cook Like a Chef" guy - so so la. Some interesting ideas. OK jugak la
- River Cottage guy - Hmm.. not so great
- David Rocco - nice, simple dishes. Love his website. On TV - smiles too much. very kaku oso.
- Jamie Oliver - By far my favourite. Kelakar, down to earth and makes it look oh so easy!
- Floyd - Yuk. Nuf said
- Anna Nordstrum (Scandinavian cooking) - interesting
- Gordon Ramsay - I find him very the kelakar. Especially when he loses his cooking challenge with a non-cook in Hell's Kitchen.
- Michael Smith (Chef at Home and Chef at Large) - nice, skema, very Canadian, I guess. Pleasant. Not boring, just skema. I like his tips and ideas. And his pantry is like a chef's heaven!
- Licence to Grill guy - cool recipes and ideas. But over happy and lotsof sound effects. Ayyooo... you on ecstasy or what?

Then there's Bobby Chin, and Anthony Bourdain, and so many many more. Some are more travel shows rather than cooking. But well, managed to pick up a number of tips here and there... Anyone you want to comment on?

No comments: