Friday, May 09, 2008

Better Late Than Never...

I must admit that I have this thing about reading and watching classics, just to see what the hoo ha was all about. I managed to get a copy of "Bridges of Madison County" (the movie) all the way from UK. Bought Oscar Wilde's Potrait of Dorian Gray at a jumble sale for RM2. The English Patient, The Cider House Rules... And of course, the so called "history of Middle Earth" - books and movies - love them both. Seems that I love old stuff and not new ones since I hate Jurassic Park, and Star Wars send me to sleep.

Anyway, does anyone remember "Dances With Wolves", the epic movie that won 7 Oscars quite a number of years ago? The movie that Kevin Costner scored big on? It came out before I ever bothered with movies, and I had always wondered what the story was all about. Picked up a copy some time in the middle of last year but got put off by the opening scene of army hospital, blood and gore and never made time to try again.

Finally gave it another go yesterday. SInce the movie is gila2 panjang, more than 3 hours, I think, I decided to watch it in small bites. Especially since I bought the special edition with more scenes added in. Lagi la panjang...

Found that the story became hugely more interesting once he arrived in the prairie and no longer in the company of the foul cart guy. I loved the views, the wolf, the swimming hole, everything natural. His association with the Indians and further relationship was heartwarming. And I found that I HATED the white men who killed the buffalo indiscriminately, leaving them to rot and waste. As I hate the hunters who killed animals on the sacred ground, and the bl**dy soldiers who killed his wolf, TwoSocks.

Bottomline, a GREAT movie. I loved it all. Now I know why they gave it seven Oscars. Wow!

No comments: