Sunday, March 09, 2008

Demam Pilihanraya

Wanted the paper but still in nightie... Side effects of being your own d**ned boss - you wake up and immediately think of your 3 looming deadlines. Checked the Star Online and voila! The Election results. Yay! God bless the guys who invented the internet.

I knew Barisan will win anyway. They always do. Political stability and all that. Surprised to see Opposition won big and got away with 5 states, though. Wow! Last night all I saw on TV was BN winning. But then they were counting Sarawak, and Sarawak won big there.

So now Selangor and Damansara Utama are both DAP zones. I hope to God they hold up their promise to improve public transport. To be fair, it has improved somewhat. I no longer have to wait forever for a ride to the LRT. It's kind of expected really. Tony Pua against Chew Mei Fun. Tony is a hotshot enterpreneur. Chew did well enough, I suppose. But sometimes people want change. And Dr Cheah against Victor Gu - the psychiatrist against some pretty boy... what did you expect? Samy Vellu lost. Bout time, I say. Someone is wondering how BN could have lost against Nurul Izzah. Ha ha. I never liked the pretentious one anyway.

I hope now orang2 yang berkenaan will get the message - no more hanky panky with people's money. Our system is scarily out of whack and I'm so afraid of what will happen to our children if this imbalance is not rectified. You can't have a straightforward business deal without cables, there's kickbacks, blowing up prices, stupid mega projects with dodgy companies, etc. Too many bad stuff going on. I just hope those who won will do what it takes to get things back on track. We need good intercity train service. We need fair employment opportunities. A lot of inter-racial rifts need to be healed. There are a lot of hatred stored deep inside us, despite our veneer of tolerance. How many do we actually trust each other? How much do we really trust politicians and government officers? I know there are many good ones out there, but there is much room for improvement.

I don't think BN equals the government. They are just a bunch of parties that are supposed to serve the people. The Opposition serves people too. They just approach it differently. And frankly, if people stay in power too long, they sometimes fall to the dark side. After all, the people is the boss. Malaysia is my country. I want to be proud of it. I want all Malaysians to love our country. I want change. I hope that happens now.

No comments: