Thursday, February 28, 2008

Organisational Help

I've always been envious of people who effortlessly organize their lives despite their numerous responsibilities. Lately, have been having trouble prioritizing and keeping track of my various projects, which is quite frustrating. "Tasks" in Outlook is useful, but doesn't easily organise your projects into distinct groups and bite-sized pieces. I needed something else.

While exploring various unfamiliar software in the office computer last week, I stumbled upon Microsoft Project. It was quite easy to use, despite being a little bagak in presentation, with loud colours which is a little jarring. Not wanting to buy more software, I started Googling around for more options.

I tried OpenProj for all of 2 hours. It was really coarse (as most Open programmes are), and not very suitable for my needs. Who wants Gantt charts to organise stuff anyway? It's more of a commercial project management tool. Tried a few other options like Open Workbench and TaskJuggler, but they didn't suit either. Tried Googling "Task management software" and finally found something I liked.

MyLifeOrganised is a task organising tool that is lightweight and easy to use. I liked the Standard version which is simple, fast, with a clean background and enables you to outline your projects and key in notes where necessary without having to fill in too many fields. After all, the main idea is to organise your tasks into distinct groups and break them down into manageable sub-tasks. I have always been VERY bad at doing this... The only thing I paused at is the price. Going at $49.90, it would be quite hard on my purse. Plus, I'd need to install a copy of the program into each computer I use (there's at least 2), and make sure I have my pen drive with me so that I only work with one Task List.

Looked around a bit more and found Todoist, which is online. The structure is similar, but with less space for long notes. I'm fine with that, especially when I just need a tickable list of things I need to do. I like the due date feature and flexible page views. And I especially like the Gmail integration function, so I can schedule in mails that need to be dealt with in my task list.

I'm guessing there might be better options available, but for the time being, this is doing all right. Would love to know of any other options out there. Cheers!

No comments: