Thursday, February 14, 2008

How to Look (at Least) A Decade Older

1. NOT be rolling in money, as I obviously should.
2. Own an ancient house that needs lots of maintenance which you can ill afford, esp in the way of plumbing.
3. Not get assistance for obviously-simple-but-involves-climbing-into-roof tasks despite calls to Pater
4. Be unwilling to pay for plumber
5. Have housemate who refuses to deal with problems properly. Instead, will lie around waiting for someone else to try and fix the problem, then lay blame if anything goes wrong.
6. Have no one else to sucker into helping out.

Case study: Changing water tank valve.
Problem: Thing worn out. Overflow constantly going to other bathroom, creating danger of floor collapse and such.
Temporary solution: Turn off main inlet pipe
Side effects: No water to MY shower. Have to bathe downstairs.
Solution: Buy valve. Now, just screw it in, right?
WRONG!!!
Problem: Paid too much for wrong type of valve. Will not fit into current setup. Leave both lying in roof until I can fix it the next day.
Additional problem: Housemate turns on inlet. Donno why. Water overflows again. Plus, some of it escapes through tank inlet opening and creates scary drip around staircase lamp! HM asks if I broke anything. What a lovely thing to ask. You sit around doing nothing and then accuse me of breaking things. No doubt felt a bit like tikus membaiki labu there for a while.
Solution: Climb into roof again (Doubtless, this is why activities like rock-climbing are considered beneficial). Re-affix problematic valve. Did I mention how creepy, dusty and dark it is in the roof?
Permanent solution: Go to shop again and exchange with suitable valve. Cross fingers and pray it will work out this time.

Sheez. Good thing I finished my work yesterday, so I can deal with the problem today. Part II will involve re-connecting water to toilet cistern. Maybe I'll get the plumber to do that. I hate fiddling with PVC pipes and such.

No comments: