Monday, June 20, 2005

What a Weekend!!

Spent the better half of the weekend in hot sun and discovered my new best friend - oral rehydration salts!

Left the office on Friday in a good mood after a week of productive work and social meets. Had dinner with Chris & Lorett Wednesday, and another with Yuen Ae Thursday. I was on a roll. Some guy actually asked if we had met b4 and asked for my number on my way out!! Har har... Corniest as pickup lines go. Come to think of it, I MIGHT have met him at the Oz Embassy do last April, but in any case, it's no big deal la. Told him I'd give the no if I bumped into him 3x. Fair enough, right? :-D Better safe than sorry, silap2 ter-bagi my number to some fella who'd start pestering me to join his dodgy pyramid scheme. Choy!!

Saturday - did my rounds before proceeding to Putrajaya to watch the rowing competition. Missed the morning heats, so went upstairs to meet Cik Jee dekat the Lake Club cafe, then we both went to Allamanda and met Anaz there. Anaz was with her adik-beradik and as Effy dah merajuk, she couldn't lepak2 with us. So after wandering aimlessly, Cik Jee dropped me back at the Lake Club where I'd left my car. Caught the afternoon repercharge, then left. I was pretty dehydrated; I got back, put on the A/C to cool down and woke up at nine pm! Found some ORS Yumiko had left behind, they helped a little but later found that they were slightly expired. Oops...

Sunday - went again to see the finals. Discovered that my sunblock had mysteriously disappeared. Darn. Feeling guilty about running around when there is work to be done, I took my notes and laptop along. Good thing too, 'coz it was quite a lot of waiting in between short bursts of activity. Halfway thru, Azura messaged saying she was stuck with a flat tepi hiway. Called her to make sure she was OK. Then Inas called, spoke to her for a bit, just catching up on news. She's offline at the moment, so been a bit out of the loop. Risq called, made some plans. Watched the races in between calls...

UTM was supposed to have an established team, and I could see they did well, starting slow and sprinting to the finish line. UPSI and UM did OK too. Unitar and Uniten didn't do so well. P's event - UM Men's 4 coxed was fast and furious, but bad luck - their 2nd stroke lost grip of his oar and cost his team. Sorry, babes, better luck next time... Overall, I think the tourney would have benefited from more training for all the teams. They could not even stay in their allocated lanes, there were numerous collisions, one headed for (and went up) the bank, one hit the jetty and many 'pancit' before they finished half of the 500m length! Insufficiently trained coxswains cost their teams 'coz as they were the only ones facing forward, they were supposed to direct the rowers. Pasal tu the boats were going in the wrong direction!! It was funny in a way, same as we canoeists looking forward to a capsized boat to lighten the mood : D At least our event is relay, so we had a chance to catch up as we went along... When the last race had been run, said goodbye to P, then left at eleven. Didn't even wait to see who actually won overall.

Had wanted to do a bit of kayaking, but they didn't allow it due to the event. Maybe another time... Got the price list from the Club, it's quite reasonable. Would like to try my hand at sculling sometime, or just get some friends to join me for some kayaking one of these days. Not worth signing up for membership, just pay full price as and when I can find time for a bit of boating lah... Am free sometime in July. Anyone game?

Was supposed to meet Risq, my ex-coursemate aka crony, at noon, to return the bowling ball I borrowed for Tekadbowl, but as usual, when you make plans with Risq, it has to change ten times before you get anywhere. :-p In the end I simply dug my heels in, refused to meet him in BSD and forced him to come over to the house. Met his new girlfriend and had some mint tea. As usual, being a Malaccan, he had to comment on the 'ubatgigi' taste of the tea... Sigh... They sure are a homogenous bunch, aren't they? No sense of adventure at all.

Later decided to watch Spinning Gasing, had borrowed the CD from Cyril in May, baru nak tengok. It was kind of interesting. Not sure what to make of it, though. Too lazy to think. Bits and pieces here and there, not really something with a plot, but then, most art movies aren't so straightforward anyway. At least the characters worked out well, not over-prettified like "Berlari Ke Langit". That was such a joke!

Fell asleep pretty early and woke up to find a message from Nix, she had come home from NL last week, her dad had just passed away. So now trying to finish off some work before going home, then meet up with her tonight. We have so much to talk about...

Cheers, guys. And have a good week ahead!! :-) Az

No comments: