Thursday, April 16, 2009

One Malaysia

Frankly, this is only possible if we treat each other as equals. There should be no superior or inferior race. We value each other based on merit. And we learn to hold our tongues when we don't quite agree with the other. Or at least learn to comment/tegur tactfully.

I have met people who admit that in (Chinese) school, they were taught that Malays were stupid and lazy. And I have met a (Malay) woman that thought I should not have given up my seat on the bus to an Ah So. Like why?? That is so mean... How to live together la like that?

I actually feel that a lot of people are being treated unfairly due to racism. Each try to give special treatment to their 'own people'. So everybody is vying to be better than the other, at the expense of unity. They band together against 'the others' to ensure the survival of their own culture and way of life. But who wins that way? A win-lose situation is never sustainable.

It seems to me that people who are more 'westernised' that tend to unite, mainly because they have found a common platform where everyone is equal and race takes a back seat. I would like to see westernised changed to Malaysianised, where we understand each others' strengths and limitations and capitalise on them. Instead of using La this and De that to sound pretentiously classy and international, why not create international class products using Malaysian names? I like seeing Pink Jambu and Cekodok.com which is modern without being pretentious. After all, Selangor Pewter and Anakku made it without pretending to be an 'Italian' brand!

It just takes a little effort to assimilate. For instance, most KLites are familiar with a smattering of Cantonese as well as Islamic phrases like "insya-Allah" and "alhamdulillah'. In fact, rather than belittling us for taking the trouble to solat every day, my colleagues actually expect things to magically run smoothly for us because of it. If I have a bad day when everything goes wrong, they will ask if I missed my prayers that morning!

In our mag, we always try to balance up the articles with something from each race. In the office, too, we try to have a good mixture of people. Personally, I think it's counter productive if an organisation is dominated by a certain race, because then it will just become more and more racist. In the end, the politicians can talk until the cows come home, but it will not work out until people on the ground actually make the effort to make it happen. Here's to a Malaysian Malaysia!

P/S: Ee Lynn - I found the perfect private pool to swim in! KGPA allows visitors to use their facilities for a small fee. Their 25m pool is open 9 am to 9 pm and charges RM10 for adults. It's more expensive than a public pool that is not so clean, but much cheaper than True Fitness that holds us at ransom whether we go there or not.

2 comments:

~CovertOperations78~ said...

Ah! Thank you for the pointer, Oza! Will check it out when I'm able.

I share your views on developing a Malaysian identity, but I beg to differ about the 'Westernised' thing. I find that kampung folk are the kindest, most tolerant, and most willing to learn from each other.

City folk are so used to conforming that they are too intolerant of anyone different. They don't have time for anyone but themselves anymore.

If I stop to ask for directions from a makcik in the kampung, she will try to persuade me to stop by her house for refreshments! Once I was walking in the rain in a kampung and a makcik ran up to me with a payung! What an angel!

My mother grew up in a kampung. During the May 13 incident, their Malay neighbour came over and asked my mother's family to come spend the night in their home, to protect them and hide them from people who may want to do them harm! I don't think sacrifice comes any purer than that. I think of that makcik, and I say to myself that I want to be someone like that.

Cheerio,
CO78.

Paus Biru said...

Good point, Ee Lynn. I guess the makciks had no problems with inequality, which is why they can freely offer their assistance.

It's true that some of the more disgruntled people hail from cities where it's a struggle to make ends meet...