Monday, April 27, 2009

The Biggest Loser

Who would have thought that a bunch of obese Americans can finally drive the importance of exercise into my thick skull. I started easy, just a few laps in the KJ pool. Unfortunately, I got a little sick after that. I continued with some easy trekking the next week, a few laps in KGPA after that. Finally, the scale budged from it's horrifying 80 kg high.

I'd gone down to 74 kg last year, but an abundance of free biskut raya and various free food made me gain weight. The irony is, it got worse after I started taking meds for diabetes. As with many type II diabetics, there is often a lot of insulin in the system, but the body has stopped responding to it. One way to reverse this problem is to exercise. Unfortunately, I got into the terrible habit of working late and eating junk because it was the most convenient option. McD delivers, KFC has a drive-through nearby. And working late means no time to exercise.
Being sick made me go home earlier to rest. It also reset my system so that I don't stay up so late anymore. Eventually I managed to squeeze in some exercise once a week, increasing to twice later on.

This morning I woke up late, but still went over to Abang's to swim. The kids were so excited last night, I didn't have the heart to not show up. As expected, I didn't get many laps done, but I did teach the girls some skills, so it was fun. Having 2 girls clinging on to you as you try to swim must burn SOME calories... Not to mention swimming over to rescue the forgotten float which had drifted away. Along the way, I discovered something that I craved - the human touch. I'd forgotten how heartening it was to have kids sit on your lap and snuggle up. With adults, a nice long hug, even a quick squeeze on the shoulder does make you feel better. Hmm..

Anyway, I find that with swimming, I see so much more progress than working out in the gym. Painlessly. I do cheat a little, since I have some cellulite cream which I make use of sometimes. I'm not sure how it worked, but I have gone down 2 jeans sizes so far. I can't imagine WHY I ever bought that horrible size 38 pair. The 36 is already too loose, so I'm wearing a size 34 now. Reduce it some more? I sure hope so!

Anyway, I like this show because unlike the other reality TV contests, participants actually continue training even after being sent home. And there are prizes for them in the final round. Plus, everyone is so supportive of each other, unlike the other shows where there's so much politicking and backstabbing and what have you. I especially love to see the finals where horribly obese people have transformed into beautifully hot guys and girls. Did anyone see Heather, the one that couldn't do the final weigh-in because she became pregnant? It's so heartwarming! I was afraid she had a nervous breakdown or something. It's incredibly inspiring to see people lose more than a hundred pounds when I have trouble losing five kilos! I WOULD have trouble working out so much though, especially when I hate gyms.

At least I'm getting SOMEWHERE. I do want to look nice again. I hate being all flabby. Have a good week ahead, peeps!

No comments: