Friday, October 24, 2008

MISS-communications

As much as I hate to see red marks on my copy, you have to admit that how you compose your text does make a difference. An invitation to an event started with :

DON'T LET THE MONTHLIES STOP YOU
With this, you can do just about anything, anytime!

(picture of a ring-like object)

Have sex, swim the ocean, climb a mountain, bla bla bla...

It goes on to say that it's produced by a HK based health care company and it 'offers women even more protection than ever before'. The impression I got was of some dodgy contraption which I wouldn't want to get within a mile of. Was forced to attend anyway, boss' orders, and found that the 'contraption' wasn't so bad at all!

(squeamish people can go away now)

It turns out that the sex bit is just an extra, since your vaginal area would be clear of any blood thanks to the contraption. But since it was the first thing listed, it gave a totally wrong impression to the reader (namely, me). Like, why would you want to have sex when you're having a period? How dodgy... Can't it wait? Obviously I have no authority in this area, but well, that's what ran through my mind anyway...

The softcup (that's the name) is a relatively new alternative to tampons and pads, which effectively caps the cervical area, collecting menstrual flow in a built in soft silicon 'cup'. It's thin like a plastic bag, actually. Since the material is like silicon, there are no fibers that swell if you jump in the pool, and there won't be any drips once you climb out. No mess, no leaks, no smells. I'm sold!

They'll be available in major pharmacies nationwide soon, retailing at RM19.50 per box of five. Yes, expensive, but I can save them for swimming sessions only. For the curious, log on to www.softcup-asia.com. I'd like to try them out too.

No comments: