Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Wash Whites Separately…

As it turns out, there is wisdom in this common reminder, which we normally ignore. Iya la, modern synthetics and dyes do not run, so there is little point in separating whites, unless you’re planning to bleach. Anyway, I already know which of my clothes need special handling; so the rest just gets dumped into the washer. Unfortunately, I didn’t know my linen all that well…


When Twinky the cat decided to have her babies in the linen cabinet last week, I was faced with a mountain of compromised tablecloths, cushion covers, kitchen towels and *stuff*. For the past week, have been washing them in batches. That’s when the fun begins… After one batch was done, I happily opened the washer door and was greeted by a formerly white tablecloth. It is now blue! Proceeded to unload the washer and finally discovered the culprit – a piece of cloth Inas got us from Egypt. The brilliant aqua thing is now very2 faded… Oh dear! But then, I actually LIKE the faded colours. Oh well… The whites can still be used before I bleach and rewash. It's only colour anyway.

Kena again last night. I noticed that my maroon floor mat looked a little grotty. Out of things to wash, but not wanting to waste water and electricity, I threw in the off-white welcome mat into the washer to keep it company. Both were made of cotton, but I forgot that the maroon one was ‘dyed using natural colours’ and it ran like nobody's business. In the end, I got a maroon rug and a pink one. Lallalaa… I can either bleach the pink, or else use it until needs another wash and bleach it then. We’ll see la how. Saba ajelah…

No comments: