Monday, January 15, 2007

I had a dream...


We really shouldn't underestimate the power of suggestion in books, movies and other media. Some people started hobbies and lifelong careers from watching things on TV or reading books. For me, a movie which ended with someone sculling her way down a river captured my imagination. It was something a loner like me would appreciate - an opportunity to be on the water, quietly contemplative, at one with nature.

But to turn a dream into reality, opportunities must arise too. I do enjoy being in and on water and have had the opportunity to kayak, canoe and raft over the years. But so far I have had not tried rowing, which for the longest time was relegated to my 'things I'd like to do someday' list.

Finally did get to try it today, with invaluable instruction from the mega-patient Encik Ahmad. I WAS informed that it was not easy... Am hardly a star student, but it went OK, for a first lesson. For someone declared "hopelessly unbalanced" (as if I didn't know that. Heh :p), I didn't capsize... Well, actually I almost did. Not easy to balance the boat, OK? And of course everything flew out of my brain once it started listing heavily la... Kesian cikgu tu... Sabar ajelah, ya? Have a feeling I'll need to find another instructor to supplement this one. Feel bad using up so much of his time for free. I owe you one :)

No comments: