Sunday, March 12, 2006

Test of Patience…

Sometimes, life throws a spanner in the works and watches in glee while you scramble to do damage control…

Scheming and plotting my outstation Home Audits, I decided on Kuantan because it was far – so I get to claim lots on travel. I don’t really have strong contacts there, but Jaya was there, and Noor. There were a few spares, just in case someone pulled out. Made a few phone calls to set up the job, and announced it to the project team.

Boss didn’t like the distance bit; he insisted I fly instead. So scratch birdwatching trip, would have to rely on public transport. AND, he wanted me to set up a talk to justify the cost. Oooookaaayyyy…

Called MS Garden, pulled a few strings, and voila - A talk is on. Changed dates a few times, and finally arrived on a date. Told boss, who efficiently got me a flight ticket. Called up contacts to tie up loose ends.

Oopss… can’t get JayaMary. Where IS that girl?? Finally got her on SMS and found that she was going back to Perak for the school holidays. GREAT. Called Izan. Parents will be in K.L. – cousin’s wedding. Ooops again – school holidays is equivalent to wedding season. GROAN!! Why can’t these guys get married some other time?? Sigh. Next backup. Asked P. Parents are in KayEll too. Right. Just my luck. Called Tai Kor. He’ll be in K.L. this week, not going back. Shoot. This is not good. Messaged Noor once I got in. She has CHICKEN POX and had to balik kampung!!! Aaaarrrghhhh!! NO NO NO!!!

So now I’m in Kuantan, in the morning, as I happily requested to boss, with no house to audit. Did I mention that I almost missed my flight? Went to Starbucks to make use of internet facility, put wireless on and… got red bands. What the…??? Asked and nice chap tells me that they’ll have broadband soon. Soon. Future tense. As in not yet. As in I paid a lot of money for a big mug of coffee and will not be getting what I came here for. Shoot. Would you like to jump into the river now or later, ma’am?

Am lucky Kuantan is such a soothing city. Sweet breezes cool you as you walk along the roads, though it seems a female walking along the road seems to be something of an anomaly here. Quote Mr. Taxi driver, “Megamall dekat je tu. Kami org lelaki boleh la nak jalan, perempuan naik teksi aje la.” Hrmmm… A bit chauvinistic, eh? If only they were more protective instead of patronizing. I mean, the only Malay guy (and he’s only half Malay) who takes the trouble to wait for me to safely enter the house before driving off is my Tai Kor. Geez. Have a heart, guys.

Back to the city itself, the place is nice, people are nice. I’ve seen hornbills here; just saw a silver-backed needletail. Sweet! I love the river cruise – had a family of otters follow the boat on the banks once, and seen white-bellied sea-eagles (Helang siput) swoop down to catch snakes out of the water. Yup. It’s a nice place all right.

Now, if I could just sweet talk someone from the hotel to let me audit their house, I’ll be safe – from the boss’ wrath of course! Lallalaa…

No comments: