Thursday, February 09, 2006

What would you do if…

  1. You see this poster staring at you every day of the week










2. Petrol prices are relentlessly rising. You know it’s a non-renewable resource and will be depleted very, very soon. You are aware that its combustion releases a myriad of greenhouse gases that is detrimental to health.

3. You profess to be an environmentalist and you believe that climate change is a valid environmental issue.

4. You think it’s ridiculous to burn expensive petrol just to go buy food a few hundred metres away because you’re too lazy to walk.

I got myself a bike.

Just a cheap mountain bike, but its gears make powering up the hills a breeze. I had totally forgotten how bikes eat up distances and how refreshing it is to feel the wind in your face. Not to mention providing desperately needed exercise to yours truly, since I can hardly manage to make my way to the pool twice a week.

Am taking it slow and only going round the neighbourhood thus far. Also contemplating cycling to work once in a while (it’s only 4 km away), but will have to figure out logistics, since there is no way I can avoid the highway. Would eventually try some off-road biking, perhaps. In the meantime, I’m just enjoying the ride :-)

No comments: