Friday, October 14, 2005

Is it a sign?

Some girls had given me a musical ornament for my 21st birthday a long, long time ago. It is a circular box made of metal and glass panels with a light inside. A pair of glass swans adorn the top. They’re made of melted glass, fused together, like the ones they make in Central Market. The song it plays is “Memories”. When you switch the light on and wind the base, the box would turn and the swans would be bathed in changing colours. It was probably the prettiest ornament I ever had.

A few months later, out of sheer carelessness, I broke them while packing for the holidays. Not being one to throw anything away, especially one so special, I glued them back together with UHU glue. And that’s the way they had been for the past ten years or so.

Recently, I had started hanging my necklaces around one of the wings. This morning, without any warning, the whole thing came tumbling off the dresser shelf. The swans broke. And suddenly I realised how badly patched and ugly they were. There was no way to properly clean them and a lot of dust had accumulated over the years. I hadn’t wound it up for the longest time…

First, I tore off the broken bits and then pried the swans completely off the glass top. I wound up the base, it still worked fine. I could probably find something else to replace the swans. Something nice. Something whole.

And suddenly I thought, maybe it’s a sign. A curse had been broken. I would no longer have mismatched relationships that went nowhere. Maybe I’d find a decent guy who would love me as much as I loved him… Maybe he would be my other half and we would be complete…

Could it be true? I don’t know. I’m not particularly superstitious or given to flights of fancy. But somehow, at that moment, I had wanted it to be true. Maybe. Just maybe, it will come true...

1 comment:

Taichee~@! said...

aminnn...ya Rabbal A'laminnn