Wednesday, February 16, 2011

There's Always a First Time...

After driving for years without ever experiencing a major car breakdown; I broke that record last Monday.  Was driving home from Sg Yu with JC and Darren in the afternoon after a CAT trip. It was a hot day. After a while, I noticed that the aircon wasn't cool anymore. Thinking it was the weather, I also started to wilt. Looked for a place to stop but that proved hard to find. Eventually swung into an Esso somewhere after Lipis town, just before Benta. Took a break and thinking we were low on aircon gas, we decided to go look for an aircon place. Went into Benta and after a few wrong turns, found an aircon shop in the middle of town.

After checking, the guy discovered it wasn't the aircon after all, the engine had overheated because the radiator was blocked!! Nasib baik tak terbakar! Had to wait hours while he serviced the radiator and changed a few parts. The price: RM220, part of which was covered by the guys' contribution to the petrol cost.

The best part was, I had just spent a small fortune changing the belts, engine mountings and fixing the leaky exhaust.The last was just that morning; I actually drove all the way up to Gua Musang just to fix the leaky exhaust, thinking that 1) it might save me on petrol and 2) I could help support the local economy. Paid cash some more, thinking I was going to be OK for the rest of the month.

In the end, the total bill came to a cool RM1129. Ouch!! On the other hand, I'm not worried about the belts, mountings, exhaust and radiator anymore. Engine also runs quietly, no more bergegar2. I would have had to fork out the money eventually anyway... So, kind of nice to get it all settled. Just a bit of a shocker to be stuck like that lah.

And it did throw my budget off. Was so happy I was well under-budget just the week before! Nasib baik ada a secret stash for my duit belanja the rest of the month... Sabar ajelah...

No comments: