Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Self-defeating Moves

There's one lady in my ex-school group who always posts all these religious reminders. Short snippets, but quite a number of them, almost every day. I keep some, and delete the preachy ones. So today she came up with this nonsensical thing about how having 4 wives will contribute to the ummah. I went PBBBTTTHHHHH... What utter pile of crap, man! Is she Arqam trained, or what? Again, I'm not against poligamy, but no need la to promote2. Guys can find their own excuses for doing it. How many of them are thinking of the ummah when they go menggataling? PLease la.

I deleted mine, but someone else was so incensed, she requested to be taken off the list. Now, that's counter productive, I think. The group is such a wonderful resource base, I'd rather ask the person to desist, rather than take myself off the list. What for? Same la like me blogging about it rather than jumping in and pointing out that fact. Well, maybe I would, if no one else does it, I guess. There's a kind of pecking order here. I remember our much hated rule of yore: SENIORITY BASIS.

Somehow it reminded me of another self-defeating move. After the fuel hike, someone wrote to the paper, saying that thanks to the fuel prices, his wife had to quit her studies. Okaaayyy... Why? Because minyak had become so mahal, that he could no longer afford to commute between Melaka and Putrajaya every day. So his wife had to quit school so that she can follow him back to their Serdang house. So all her studies so far will have to be wasted la. I groaned. I'm sure a pile of non-Malays would be laughing at this dude. Why can't he suck it up, and live on his own until she finishes her studies? On the other hand, SHE might not want to allow that, because then, there'll be a big chance he'll 'bukak branch baru' (even tho he can't afford to commute). But think about it, she has about a year more to go. They probably took a loan, or PTPTN, or something to pay for the studies. So what happens now? No thanks to the 'fuel hike' (I say it's the hubby), she can't aim for a better job. And the loan will probably be left unpaid. That's sad...

My point is, why can't they tough it out for a while, to aim for a better future? But then, I'm not them, and they must have thought it through; so I'll desist and let them make their own decisions. Still, I have to disagree.

2 comments:

Enche Bon said...

Dear Zura,

I do agree with your take on the oil price hike dude. Is he only thinking of himself in taking that decision or looking at the bigger picture. With a higher qualification, the wife could be on her way to better job, and ultimately a better standard of living for the family.

Sayangnya study tinggal tak lama je lagi. If he has to, take a part-time job. Money spent in your (wife) future is money well spent. Tapi ye la, maybe both of them dah fikir masak2 tentang ni, who knows...

Cheers and have a good weekend ahead :)

Paus Biru said...

Hey P,

Yeah, but what to do, everyone's entitled to their own opinion.

Az