Friday, July 18, 2008

Keeping Up with the Janeses

Years back, I joined an NGO where dressing UP is entirely unnecessary. Dressing down was the norm. Over the years, my wardrobe has deteriorated abominably. Over the past week, I've had to rummage in my cupboard for something "nice" and was forced to actually switch on the iron. I had to sacrifice some cash to get myself a decent handbag and a new pair of heels.

People who knew me from long ago would probably be amazed to see me tottering in a pair of 3 inch heels. Way back then, I had to refrain from any heels because the boys I was consorting with were damn pendek, so being taller than them would severely bruise their poor egos. Anyway, thank God I'm tall enough not to need anything higher than that. I already had a scare this morning, when gingerly walking down the stairs of The Apartment (at The Curve), I failed to notice the drop to the landing, and almost fell. Nasib baik I managed to regain my balance and walk away with only my pride a little bruised.

If you watched Devil Wears Prada, you might understand what I'm going through. There's a need to look casually smart without being too formal nor too sloppy. Which is why I had to migrate from my sensible court shoes to stilettos...

And I discovered yesterday that I had to ALWAYS be dressed to go, because yesterday I was informed at the last minute to attend a MAC event in KLCC. I was dressed OK, but had decided to wear my old granny glasses instead of contact lenses. Cute glasses had a broken lens and right now, can't afford to replace it yet. As it is, the Anuar & Raja Petra cases combined drew away everyone else, so I ended up practically having an exclusive with Dato' Marina Mahathir. Not Richard Branson at his resort, but a girl has to start somewhere...

No comments: