Friday, January 26, 2018

Small matters do matter

I'm hardly one to sweat the small stuff, but sometimes, small things do help make a more pleasant day overall.

Case in point - listening to music in the office. More often than not, I put on the headphones to drown out loud discussion by the other team. At one point, I broke the headphone jack and it stayed stuck inside the slot for a long time. So I bought a Bluetooth headset. It worked fine on the phone, but it refused to pair with the laptop. After a few months of inconvenience, I bought a wireless headset.

It worked fine, but it took up one of the 3 USB ports on the computer. I need one for the wireless mouse, and one didn't work very well. So if I needed to plug in the desk printer AND a hard drive/ flash drive, something had to be pulled out. It wasn't too bad, just a little inconvenient.

My old laptop was really breaking down and for a long time, it was hard to turn on. Once it was on, it worked fine, more or less. So at the end of last year, it really broke down. And I got a new machine. Phew! What a relief!

It helps that my IT guy set it up to be as similar as possible to my previous machine, so there's minimal trouble with finding files etc. Recently I tried to hook up the Bluetooth headset and it worked perfectly! So nice. So now no more turning on computer woes, and I have another USB port free. Plus the battery lasts A LOT longer than the wireless set. Hurray!!

No comments: