Monday, January 22, 2018

Ready to go..


                                       Boots after the trek to           Cleaned and conditioned, 
                                       Setinggi Falls                        ready for our next adventure :) 

I don't know why I even bother to write this... No one wants to know for sure, but I do love having a pair of reliable, waterproof boots to trek in. I may be the only Malaysian dumb enough to actually wear Timbs into the jungle. They're heavy and expensive, most people trek in light sports shoes. The more enlightened will wear Adidas kampung which are cheap, light and damned effective. A lot of people who buy Timbs just wear them for show. You know, when you go jalan-jalan overseas or whatever. 

Mine have been immersed in the peat swamps of Borneo and Pahang, almost destroying the leather when I attempted to clean it. Thank God for Timb staff who advised me to use a leather conditioner on the dry, almost cracked uppers. I might buy some saddle soap for my next cleaning job. I use mild soap for now, but I could change to something milder. 

So far, these puppies have accompanied me to Korea and a few local destinations. They ARE rather heavy, but they really have a good grip on rocks and protect the feet well. Grip is super important to klutzes like me. And I know too well the frustration of having your shoes come apart while trekking, usually when wading up a river. I have to admit they cramp my toes a little, but they're much more comfortable now that I have broken them in. And they would have been lovely during my Lake District romps, especially the long, cold trudge along the railway track. My fabric boots were so wet and clammy, it really wasn't much fun. 

I'll always be thankful to the friend who donated them to me. I may never afford to replace them if this pair dies, but I hope we have many more adventures together before that day comes. :) 

No comments: