Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Silly Things That Drive Me Nuts

I hate being stumped. Dead ended. Blocked. Stuck.

One such an example: a jar of strawberry jam in the office pantry. I wasn't planning to eat it right away; I had had breakfast. I had no bread anyway. But one day I tried opening it and failed. So it became a problem and my obsession. For more than a week I have tried various things to open the stubborn jar, but the lid refused to budge.

I had submerged it in hot water, in the hopes of expanding the lid so that it would come off. I tried twisting it with rubber bands for extra grip (usually works). Did it until my hand hurt (RSI) and still the lid wouldn't budge. This morning I even borrowed a lighter and heated the lid; to no avail. I almost smashed the lid against the wall so that it would open - I was THAT frustrated.

Until the simplest solution presented itself - I took a knife and jimmied the lid. With a woosh, air was sucked into the jar, releasing the vacuum stranglehold on the lid. It opened at the slightest twist. Yeay!

Problem solved. The world is green again.... Such is my life.... I need a husband :P

No comments: