Saturday, May 22, 2010

Tales from the Gym

People say that people who have multiple tattoos got addicted to the pain of the process. Yes, they get something out of it - nice tats, for those who are into them anyway.

For me, I think I'm getting addicted to the gym. Slightly addicted. Have not spent nights dreaming of torture chambers and mean machines, but enough to drag my sorry ass out of the apartment. Figured that if I had any hope of dropping 20 kgs, some pain is necessary. Thank God I don't ache much anymore. The only problem I have is a stiff left knee. Something must have got out of alignment, because now I find it hard to duduk antara 2 sujud. Am able to handle most movements, but haven't been able to fix this particular problem. Any tips, anyone?

Have tried a few Group X classes. Thank goodness the instructors tolerate my bumbling efforts to keep up.   Here's the skinny on how they went:-
BodyBalance: Been wanting to try this for ages but never quite managed to get there on time. Was rather late this morning, but barged in anyway. Glad I did, because it was the most relaxing class ever! Loved it.
Line dancing: Any visions I ever had of old ladies dancing in a line flew out the window yesterday as I grappled with the alien idea of actually dancing. Latin songs, cha cha, TANGO??? Seriously... The instructor kept going, "Point 3x, save a step, cha cha cha. See? That's all. Easy peasy." Right. Define easy. I managed well enough when she's going slowly, but as soon as the music goes on, all the moves fly out of my head and I end up looking like a drunken elephant going round in circles. Not a pretty sight. You know I'm choreographically challenged... Must bug Azzy to teach me the ABCs. Will I ever try it again? Maybe.

BodyJam: Tried it once, yesterday. As in line dancing, I spazzed out. Drunk elephant seal. Try it again? Maaaaybe.

BodyPump: Quite enjoy it, actually. Fun alternative to using 10 different machines to tone different muscle groups.

BodyCombat: By far, my favourite class. Straightforward, powerful and fun. No going round in dizzy circles, thank you. Discovered there are favourite instructors, and people actually go to different gyms to join his classes! One sure indicator is the number of people in class. Friday nights - There's so many people that your side kick could very possibly land on your neighbour!! That said, the other day I caught my reflection in the mirror and I looked like a big fat wet fettuccine throwing itself all over the place. Darn. Gotta work on my technique. Obviously. 

Easy Step & BodyStep: Not too bad, but hardly my favourites. I do get lost with some of the more complicated movements (which are not complicated to others, it seems). I think I should join more of these 'complicated' classes, if only to improve my mental coordination. It really feels like I'm running on 128kb RAM when 2GB is called for. 

So there you go. Have tried most of the classes at one time or another. Probably should change my modus operandi and just grab whatever class is going on next. Some are good for the muscles, while others are good for the mind. Either way, it's nice to have a bit of fun :)

1 comment:

~CovertOperations78~ said...

I love my tattoos. Would get more if I could. Not painful at all. Wonderful buzz. I fell asleep in the tatooist's chair.

Gym, though, is another matter. I sakit-sakit all over just reading about your BodyCombat, BodyJam, BodyButter, BodyKaya etc. Shudder! Whenever I feel the urge to exercise, I sit down with a nice cup of tea and wait for the urge to pass.