Friday, November 06, 2009

Ode to a Baju Buruk

As I was putting away my clothes the other day, I noticed how frayed the collar of my favourite pink shirt has become. Over the years, I've bought and given away a pile of clothing, but two of my favourite shirts are still my weekend favourites. Bought 13 years ago when I first started work, I remember paying a mere RM9 for each at a discount store in Atria.
Tried buying others, but the material was invariably too thin or too thick. My dad's old shirts - didn't make the grade either. Just spoke to a girl who is a bit butch, she seemed a little shy to be wearing men's shirts on our magazine. Assured her that I wore men's shirts too and realized that it's true - i love those old shirts!
Reasons -
i) I love the cotton that absorbs sweat as I hike/bird/kayak/do marketing/wait for car repairs
ii) I love the feel of the cotton which, after years of washing, have turned so soft and comforting on the skin. They even qualify as nightwear.
iii) The length and cut is just right. They cover my ass and hips without being too boxy.
iv) They're fuss free. They don't snag, they're easily washable. I can take them to the market and the forest and not worry about stains.
Due to job requirements I never wear those shirts to work la, but darn, can't beat them when it comes to my weekend activities. What WOULD I do if those shirts finally give up the ghost??

3 comments:

~CovertOperations78~ said...

You're right -- she is 'a bit butch'. If she is 'a lot butch', like I am, she would be proud to wear men's shirts! I love men's shirts because they are comfortable, unfussy, easy to clean and iron, durable and they look good!

Sending love to your kitties.

Paus Biru said...

Ha ha.. My shirts are expressly for weekend. No ironing required. Thank God!

Obi and Michelle are going loco being cooped up in a room for post-op resting period. Would they be happier resting in a cage in the hall? I doubt it...Obi should be free to go soon. Mama would have to wait a little longer so she can heal properly. Maybe I'll put her in the big cage and move her downstairs. That spare room can be a little stuffy. Just worried she might escape, that's all.

~CovertOperations78~ said...

Forgot to tell you -- Hui Min passed me a box of cat food to pass to you, to thank Mummy Cat. Shall I come over tonight? I can bring wound spray for Mummy Cat. It would help the wound close up faster and prevent itching. See you or Kak Ayu then!