Monday, December 29, 2014

Why I don't celebrate Christmas

A lot of non-Christians celebrate Christmas. It's a very glitzy, much popularised affair. All those Christmas carols, gifts, trees, cheesy Christmas movies, what have you. What's not to like? I pun join in the festivities too.

But at heart, it's not something I personally celebrate. For one, the cynic in me seriously doubts that it's the real Jesus Christ's birth date. A long time ago Christ's birthday was celebrated in February or April, I can't remember when. (Sorry tak larat nak research. ) December was time for the Yule festival, a pagan holiday. But someone decided to mesh the two together so people moved the date.

I wouldn't mind celebrating the real Jesus' birthday, you know. Isa alaihissalam (pbuh) is one of the greatest and much loved prophets in Islam. We believe in him, and Mary and the book bestowed upon him. But we draw the line at proclaiming him God. Since we agree that there is only one God; if he is God, who was he praying to?

The other reason is because I'm stingy. All this gift giving etc. Wow. That takes a lot of funds, people! I do give to those in need, and to loved ones, at appropriate occassions. But everyone at the same time? Haiya, cannot lar.

I'm actually bengang because someone proclaimed people who don't take to the Christmas spirit are idiots. Oi! Mulut tu jaga sikit boleh tak? Would you wish a Happy Deepavali to a true blue Ah Beng? Nonsense right? If you're not even Christian to begin with, no need to be so sebok la. This aunty also feels the Halloween parties, Oktoberfest and whatnot are just money making themes and don't really need to be celebrated in Malaysia.

Truth be told, too much false cheer can really backfire. Lonely and sad people actually get depressed amid the Christmas cheer.That is why suicide rates are higher in this season. People expect miracles and happiness, and when they don't come, they get even sadder.

So to cut the rant short, I'm not against Christmas. If you're a believer, go for it. And I hope you enjoy the festivities and merrymaking with friends and family. No need to try and cheer me up with something i don't believe in. I'm happy enough, thank you. 

No comments: