Monday, April 07, 2008

Water in the hold!

.. or screen. Whatever.

Daddy dearest stopped by yesterday, and as we borak2, it started to rain heavily. As with other not very well off people, I live in a leaky old house. I had moved my laptop to the working area earlier on and I knew some spots will leak if it rained hard. With this in mind, I moved it to a supposedly dry spot on the table. Despite my sister's warning, I didn't check to see if it REALLY was a dry spot.

By the time Abah left it was already seven. I went to restart my computer only to find that it was WET!! Oh no! Luckily I had disconnected the power, so it was already off, or hibernating, or something like that la. Bottomline - not switched on. Phew!

Immediately upended the thing and used my long unused hair dryer to dry it off. Eventually switched it on only to find that water had managed to seep into the LCD screen layers. Apparently it can happen. Oops. And here's how it looks like. Sigh.


Googled for some info and learned that the water will eventually evaporate and the screen will be good as new. Right. I hope so. I'm not quite ready to buy another computer just yet. Touch wood.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Zura,

I heard uncooked rice would make a good dehumidifier, especially for blackberry's, ipods and handphones... not so sure about laptop screen though. Maybe kena letak 1 day dalam kepuk beras, who knows?

Have a good weekend, dear!

Cheers,

Paus Biru said...

Hmm.. interesting. But there might be a danger of beras masuk the ports and vents pulak... The water's mostly dried up by now, except for a few dots here and there. Maybe I'll try the hairdryer again. Thanks anyhow :)