Sunday, April 13, 2008

I'm Birding Again!

It's been some time since I went out just to bird. The kids session at Raptor Watch was more of an obligation, and I was just too busy to allow myself time for birding. But I have started getting a bad back from sitting too much, so figured I should go out and get some exercise. Birding involves slow walking and some trekking if you go into the trails. Gentle, but better than nothing... Earlier in the week, Seng had posted that he had 2 seats empty for a trip up Fraser's, but could not make up my mind to go until the very last minute. Called him too late, but managed to wangle a ride with Surin, who was also going up.

The majority of the people had some discussing to do. I joined Carol, Jas & John who were there just to do birding. We drove down the dumpsite road, and near the smokehouse, we heard a very loud call. Carol IDed it as a large hawk cuckoo. The 3 of us had never seen one before, so we rushed out to find it. It started to drizzle, but who cares! John spotted the bird perching in one of the trees, and I managed to get a good look. A lifer for us. Yeay!

We drove down to the dumpsite and waterfall, but didn't see anything much. As we went along, the rain got heavier and heavier. In the end we decided to go back to the town center for lunch. Had a pretty disappointing one, but it was enough to refuel. Once the rain abated, we drove a ways down the now closed new road. A massive landslide has basically swept a huge chunk of it away. It's back to the old system yet again for people driving up to the hill station. More birding, but didn't see all that much, no thanks to my horribly rusty skills. We decided to try our luck at Bishop's trail next.

Nasib baik Carol insisted that I wear Seng's leech socks. I didn't normally bother, but put them on anyway. It helped to intercept a few of the rubbery bloodsuckers. They don't really bother me, but I hate the endless bleeding and itchiness of the bite spot. We saw a bit of this and that, but so frustratingly for me, could not see the long tailed broadbill that was right in front of us! Everyone saw it except me... sob sob..
Then a black eagle came and circled practically on top of us. It was SO close... So nice...





Saw a pygmy blue flycatcher, another lifer for me, and a few other birds. By the time we came back out, it was almost six. Managed to see a greater yellownape, green magpie, grey chinned minivets among others. Yeay! We left about six thirty and got home by nine something.

This morning, headed out to the Lake Gardens to help out with the Intro event for the public. I knew Jas had a huge crowd, so went anyway despite the heavy rain. Amazingly, we had a good turnout. We started out in a drizzle, which stopped by 8.30 or so. Had a good time showing beginners what it was all about, helping them find the birds through the binoculars, showing how to differentiate the species. Lake Gardens was a really good spot. Must go there again soon. There were the common magpie robins, mynahs and zebra doves. There also were pink necked green pigeons, blue tailed bee eaters, white throated kingfishers and leafbirds among other things. Ended the morning with a late breakfast, and went home to sleep...

Woke up in the afternoon thinking that it was already Monday morning, but soon realized that it was still Sunday. However, since I had taken one and a half days off to bird, will have to catch up with work tonight, since I have 2 deadlines next week, and starting on another article. Oh well, better too much work than none.. Just wish payments came in as fast as my deadlines, but I guess that's the nature of the beast. :D I'm sooo happy I went birding this weekend. So much fun!!

No comments: